The Crazy-Man Challenges™

A few months ago I was watching an episode of Clarissa Explains It All  (don't judge me, that show was awesome) entitled "Total TV".  In the episode, Clarissa attempts to watch 24 straight hours of television as part of a school assignment.

That got me thinking...






What if I were to find interesting activities, attempt to participate in them for a set duration, and keep a running diary of my experience?  Not only would these be interesting tests of testicular fortitude and endurance, but I may even learn a few things.  I decided (5 minutes ago) to call them The Crazy-Man Challenges™. 


Now I'm not going to do anything extreme like eat only apples for a week or drive to work in the winter with all the windows down.  I'm not going to do anything foolish like wear stone-washed jeans for a week.  I'm not Michael Jordan.  I'm also not going to do anything physically grueling, anything that could land me in the emergency room, nor anything that will get me strange looks on the subway.  I'm looking for "interesting" more than than "insanely difficult".  Don't get me wrong, these will still be difficult, but I'm being realistic here.  I don't have the time (or patience, for that matter) for the 24-hour challenges nor do I have any interest in breaking any Guinness world records.  I just want some good writing material...and a little fun.


Here are some of the potential ideas I came up with:



  • Play 5 straight hours of Mario Kart Wii
  • Watch all the of Lord of the Rings Films in succession
  • Watch a bad movie 5 consecutive times
  • Watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III once
  • Go a week without using the internet (note: the last time I wasn't online in some capacity was a few days in September 2004, if my memory serves me correctly.  This also means - you know what, I'm not doing this one).
  • Go a week without sending a text message
  • Watch the Jurassic Park trilogy in succession (the real challenge is getting through the last two)
  • Go a week without watching television
  • Watch an entire season of The Simpsons in one sitting
  • Watch 5 straight movies based on video games
  • Go vegetarian for a week
  • Watch a Will Ferrell movie
  • Listen to one song all day on a continuous loop
  • See how many consecutive days I can go without spending a cent
  • Eat one meal at Arby's
  • Watch 5 consecutive Nicholas Cage movies

If you guys can think of any others, feel free to submit them in the comments (Speaking of the comments, I turned off the annoying verification - you know that thing that makes you look at this weird picture that's supposed to consist of letters and makes you type them in.).  I'll definitely be brainstorming more.  You can play along at home too.  As a matter of fact, I challenge you to come up with some of your own Crazy-Man (or Woman) Challenges™ and let us know how you fared.


Be on the lookout for The Crazy-Man Challenges™ in future posts.

2 comments

  1. Pick 2 random actors (per our "6 degrees of" game) and watch the movies in succession that link the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch all of the Saw movies in succession (which I did before when there were only 4 of them; hey, we all make mistakes). Or Nightmare on Elm Street. Or Friday the 13th.

    For the latter two options, that includes watching Freddy v. Jason, plus the respective remake.

    ReplyDelete

Archives