The "Dress-Down Friday Fan's" Guide To Celebrating a Championship


The definitive guide on how to behave when the team you've followed for 15% of the season wins it all.


Before I begin, allow me to congratulate my hometown Baltimore Ravens on an amazing, thrilling, improbable playoff run that culminated in a Super Bowl XLVII victory.  This was a team who blah blah blah destiny...blah blah blah Rahim Moore...blah blah blah Flacco...blah blah blah last ride...blah blah blah deer antler spray...blah blah blah Harbowl...blah blah blah blackout...blah blah blah no weapon...blah blah blah Puppy Bowl...blah blah blah pass interference...blah blah blah Illuminati...


Great job on an incredible season.  Now, if you'll excuse me, there are more pressing matters to tend to.

I'm an atypical Ravens fan.  I'm not a die-hard, nor fair-weather, nor even a casual fan.  I like to call myself a "Dress-Down Friday Fan", essentially a shade below casual.  The team's activity is really only important to me once a week, I give them no special consideration outside of game days, and if I miss something, I'm more than fine with catching it the following week, if at all.   Quite honestly, on game days, I'm pretty apathetic toward their performance.  If they win, I'm satisfied (...depending on the fan reaction.  More on that later.), and if they lose, I'm not going to eat a gallon of ice cream to ease the pain.

Three factors contribute to my Ravens indifference.  The first is the sport of football's ranking within my personal sports hierarchy (hint: it's battling hockey for last place).  The second factor is the brevity of the Ravens' existence within the context of my life.  When Ray & Co. danced into town, I was a 15 year-old high school sophomore whose only connection to football was "Techmo Bowl" and "Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football".  Baseball was my first sports love and I had recently been introduced to basketball - my true love.  The Certified Pre-Owned Cleveland Browns Baltimore Ravens were fighting for the precious little real estate within my still-developing sports heart.  As it stands, I root for them by default; after all, they're the hometown team and I'm obligated to have at least a modicum of interest...but I'll never love them like the Orioles.

Lastly - and this one is a significant one - I don't care for the majority of Ravens fans.  I'll do you a solid and save my reasons why for another post (possibly sometime early next season when the fans will be downright insufferable).  What's interesting about this is that it keeps me from being a "real" fan.  I was far more openly supportive of the team when I lived in Philadelphia and Atlanta (two cities on polar opposite ends of the "fandom" scale, I might add).  Being back in Baltimore, amongst the entitled, whiny, over-zealous herd creates a disconnect that I haven't been able to shake.  I find it difficult, if not impossible to openly root for the Ravens outside of the private confines of my home.  Full disclosure: I've actually hoped they'd lose certain games at times just to drag the fan base back to some semblance of sports reality.

I say all this to preface my main reason for writing this piece.  As a real Dress-Down Friday Fan, I feel it important to maintain a set of rules and guidelines that people of my rooting ilk should follow - specifically in the immediate afterglow of your team's championship run.  It is imperative to set a standard of behavior to prevent us DDFF's from becoming those fans.  This list is far from comprehensive, but I feel it's a start:

As a Dress-Down Friday Fan... 

- You are allowed to go out and celebrate, climb poles, get drunk, tip stuff over, and set random things/people on fire immediately after your team wins its sport's respective championship.  Your level of fandom, or lack thereof, is mutually exclusive from your status as a moron.

- You are not allowed to use the collective "we" to describe your team.  E.g., Ray Lewis is allowed to use "we" to describe his team.  You are allowed to use the collective "we" to describe your 0-8 company softball team.

- You are not allowed to suddenly run out and buy every article of team paraphernalia you see on the street now that your team has won the championship.  Trust me on this one.  It'll be buried in the bottom of a closet in no time.  A few years later, it will emerge looking like this:

Just leave it hanging in the closet for the next 10-15
years and those wrinkles will fall right out.

You are allowed to attend the victory parade, but don't be an asshole about it.  Dress normally; sport your team's colors if you must.  But do not wear your team's skully, scarf, coat, gloves, cell phone case, camo pants, nipple rings, socks, and boxers  - especially since you probably just bought them all 3 days prior (refer to the prior bullet point).  And most importantly…


You are not allowed to talk trash to true fans of the losing team.  This is douchebaggery of the highest order.  You have not made the same emotional investment in, nor sacrifices for your team that they have with theirs.  There's nothing worse than a mouthy, braggart "fan" armed with little more than a basic working knowledge of their team.  (Shout out to 80% of Miami Heat "fans" out there.)  When presented the opportunity, politely congratulate your vanquished foe on a game well played, tip your proverbial cap (so long as it's not the cap with your team's logo on it that you bought from that guy you saw downtown last week selling area rugs out of a van) and be on your way. 


One quick point:  If you later decide to put in the emotional and physical time and effort to upgrade your fan status from DDFF to Hard-Core, don't act as if you've been such the entire time.  Your tenure as a DDFF is not grandfathered into your membership as a "Real" fan.  Don't get cute.

All that being said, I hope to see some of you at the parade tomorrow (or today, depending on when I actually post this).  I'll be the one wearing the big coat, gloves, and O's cap; pitchers and catchers report in 8 days, you know.

(Author's note:  I apologize for any weird formatting hiccups.  Blogger's formatting bites big ones and I simply don't have time to figure it all out.)

No comments

Leave a Reply

Archives